Can dogs eat nectarines? Are nectarines safe for dogs? Hey friends, how are you all? Today we talk about Can dogs have nectarines? Nectarine is a sweet, healthy, and nutritious summer fruit with vitamins A and C, potassium, magnesium, and Dietary Fiber. Although nectarines are full of nutrition but, is it safe for your pet dogs? Let’s find out if it’s okay to feed your dog nectarines. If yes, then under what conditions and how much.
Can Dogs Eat Nectarines? Are Nectarines Safe For Dogs?
Facts About Nectarines
- The nectarine is a variety of peach, and both belong to the same species.
- 95% of the nectarines are produced by California in the United States.
- Nectarines probably originated in China about 2000 years ago.
- The name ‘nectarine’ means as sweet as nectar.
- In the early 17th century, nectarines were grown in Great Britain.
- The scientific name of the nectarine is Prunus persica var. Nucipersica
- Nectarine is around, yellow-red stone fruit, and it is about the size of an apple.
- Nectarines are very high in nutrition and vitamins. It has vitamin C, vitamin A, niacin, potassium, and iron.
- Nectarines contain folate, Which helps to produce healthy red blood cells. It also contains a little bit of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin K, which helps maintain your bone health.
Are Nectarines Bad For Dogs?
Although nectarines are not toxic to dogs, it doesn’t mean you allow your pet dog to eat as much as he wants. The reason behind this is because nectarines contain high sugar content. That can cause gastrointestinal issues for your pet dogs, such as vomiting and diarrhea. Also, be careful about rotten nectarines because rotten nectarines produce ethanol, which is toxic to dogs. It can also cause serious health issues to your pets.
Are Nectarines Pit Toxic To Dogs?
In simple words, yes, nectarines pit is toxic to dogs. Always be careful and keep the pit far away from your pet dogs. The nectarine pit contains a little amount of cyanide, which is poisonous. Also, the pit itself is dangerous because if your dog swallowed the pit, it could cause choking, leading to dangerous intestinal blockage. If, by any chance, your dog swallowed the pit, then consult your veterinarian as soon as possible. The signs of this health issue are unsteadiness, excess panting, and stomach distress.
Related Article: Can Dogs Have Granola?
Are Nectarines Good For Dogs?
Nectarine is a fruit that you can offer your dog safely, but you have to follow some rules. Like I have mentioned above, it contains high sugar content. So the best thing to do is to offer them nectarines in small portions. For small dog breeds, give them only one or two slices, and for the large dog breed, you can offer them four to five slices once in a while.
Do not offer this fruit to your dog too much because nectarines are rich in Fiber that can cause tummy issues like diarrhea. Never offer your dog canned nectarines because they contain preservatives and extra sugar. There is no need for extra sugar because it already contains high sugar content. So the canned nectarines can be harmful to your pet dogs. Do not offer sugary foods to your pet dog regularly because it can cause many health issues. Like obesity, diabetes, and tooth decay issues.
You have to be careful while choosing fresh nectarines because some harmful pesticides are found on the outside of this fruit. These pesticides can be harmful to both humans and dogs.
Can My Dog Eat Nectarines? Is it Safe?
In small portions, you can offer your pets to eat nectarines. But I strongly suggest you consult your veterinarian before offering any human foods like nectarines to your dogs. Some dogs have overweight, diabetes, and digestive issues, so offering them nectarines is not a good idea. After consulting your vet, if you get a go-ahead, then you can offer your dog nectarines. In starting, offer them small amounts like one slice but never feed your dog too much even if your pet loves the taste of nectarines.
Benefits To Offer Nectarines To Your Dogs.
- Nectarines can be beneficial for dogs if you offer them under the conditions which are mentioned above.
- Nectarines contain vitamin C, which helps to ingest a toxic substance such as propylene glycol and onion powder.
- Nectarine contains Fiber which is also suitable for dogs’ digestive health.
- Vitamin A helps to boost your dog’s eye health. It also improves their skin and fur of your dog.
- Potassium helps to balance the body fluids of your dogs. It also enables many enzymes, nerves, and muscles to work correctly.
- Magnesium is also one of the essential nutrients for your dogs. It is good for your dog’s bone health and also helps their body to absorb vitamins.
In the end, we suggest you feed your dog nectarines occasionally. You can also use nectarines to encourage your pet dog to eat medicine. Before offering nectarines to your dogs, remove the skin of the fruit. Because nectarines skin is rich in Fiber and too much Fiber can cause digestion issues. Do not forget to remove the pit before serving your dog nectarines. So, friends, we hope you enjoy our article Can dogs eat nectarines? And Are nectarines safe for dogs?. Please give us your feedback in the comments.